Director of Engineering
We’re looking for a Director of Engineering to join our small, but growing company building automated verification for construction using laser scans. This is a full time position in New York City ideal for someone with 10+ years experience leading engineering organizations and growing/scaling a SaaS company.
The ideal candidate is
- A self starter with vision and discipline
- A CTO, Director of Engineering or Engineering Manager looking for a dynamic role at a fast paced startup
- Independent self-learner and a great team player
- A startup veteran, having experience in working on products at all stages of life cycle
- Like to tackle tough problems with creative solutions
We are out to change the way we interact with the built environment. We create and continuously update a digital replica of buildings that serve as the building's system of record. We do this by comparing the 3D design models (known as BIMs) that are created at the outset of a building's construction to laser scans of the ever changing reality. During construction this enables stakeholders to identify construction errors and monitor progress in real time. And once a building is occupied, we enable that digital twin to serve as a platform for the internet of things, integrating data from hundreds of connected sensors in a common data environment.
Avvir is headquartered in New York City and has 10 employees. We have raised over $3 million in financing from top tier investors including Khosla Ventures, Metaprop, and Local Globe. in less than 12 months we've gone from no product to working with companies like Facebook and Exxon Mobil. We also just raised $2.5m in seed capital and are on track to raise a series A within the next 18 months. Our current customers love us. We have an over 90% retention rate.
About The Role:
As the CTO you will:
- Manage and grow Avvir’s team of world class software engineers;
- Develop technical aspects of strategy and product roadmap to align with business goals;
- Oversee architecture/infrastructure to ensure functionality and efficiency;
- Build and maintain the operational tools, resources and processes needed to provide scalability and service levels;
- Coach and mentor development team.
We are building a computer vision algorithm that has to parse terabytes of point cloud data in minutes. We also have 3D models measured in gigabytes that need to be effectively rendered in the web. We need to read out geometries from those models so we can effectively sum areas and volumes to track progress appropriately.
- Prior experience working in a technology startup company
- Experience working on a SaaS or PaaS product
- Great attitude and ability to work in a fast paced, collaborative environment is a must
Lead the team:
- Experience in a Technical leadership role with great communication skills
- Have a strong product vision
- Manage, Mentor and grow the SW engineering teams
- Manage Technical decisions and provide technical leadership/vision
- Care about the quality of what we are building
- Be able to take input, including listening to and finding experts
- 10+ years of professional coding experience is required
- Web Development for larger web applications
- Experience scaling web applications
- knowledge of Machine Learning and Computer Vision
- Creative problem Solving skills
- TDD background
How we work:
We are looking for a CTO that embodies our core values and embraces our engineering and team culture and will enhance it as the team grows. We believe in the following:
- We believe your job should enrich your life, not take it over.
- We believe in working smart over working hard (though hard work isn’t bad.)
- We believe you can only be truly successful when you are fulfilled and empowered; your work should fulfill you and colleagues should empower one another.
- And we believe in being decent, to one another, and in general.
Our engineering and team culture also includes:
- Keeping stories small and acceptance criteria clear so we can better manage and understand risks.
- Test-driving our code so that it’s easy to understand and change.
- Pairing up about 15 hours/week to facilitate learning, to write better code, and to reduce knowledge siloing.
- Continuous iteration and improving the way that we work
- Taking time every week to reflect and consider ways we could be doing things better (through a team Retrospective meeting).
At Avvir we believe in providing benefits that not only match our Avvir values (Decency, Passion for the Work, Personal Life Matters, and Outcome over Effort ) but that enhance the lives of our team members. We are a remote-friendly organization with an unlimited vacation policy, fantastic health insurance plans, flexible work arrangements and equity options.
We also offer a meaningful place to put your talents to work, expanding your job skills, and the ability to be a part of fundamentally changing the way construction is done. Plus you will get to work with some pretty cool people.